A severely depleted squad put in a dogged performance to grind out three hard earned points against their mid table rivals.

Prestwich started well dominating possession and creating a few half chances as the visitors seemed content to sit back and make what was intended to be a front three behave more like five across the middle with a loan striker, that striker unfortunately was probably the best player on the park as Prestwich would ultimately find out.

The opener from Prestwich came in the 11thminute and in fine style. Mike Neary who’s been a revelation this season operating in deeper lying right back position picked up the ball just inside his own half and set off on a meandering run that took him past several players to reach the right hand edge of the box, from there despite being shepherded inside across the box on to his weaker left foot but he managed to get enough power into the shot to beat the keeper to make it 1-0.

Blackrod rallied somewhat and the game became a much more even affair with both sides creating and missing chances, fortunately for Prestwich keeper Nathan Williams was really on his game both with his shot stopping and distribution.

Just before half time Prestwich were boosted by a second goal, returning to the side after a long absence Steve Murty was brought down just as he wriggled his way into the box and duly converted the ensuing penalty himself to make it 2-0 at the break.

Prestwich had chances to increase the lead in the early periods of the second half through Dave Thompson, Sean Haslam and Steve Murty but fired wide in all cases and as Prestwich’s bare eleven tired in the heat Blackrod upped the ante and really started to turn the screw.

Center backs Ross Salmon and Paul Taylor really came into their own constantly blocking runs and heading balls clear, whilst Williams was tremendous saving several one on one’s as Prestwich clung on to their lead, the main threat coming from the previously mentioned striker who seemed to have the ability to ghost past players at will.

The pressure grew and grew and with five minutes to go a penalty was awarded against Krzysztof Rapacz, duly converted and with several Prestwich boys dead on their feet the stage was set for a Blackrod comeback.

But the efforts to claw their way back into the game in such heat had also taken its toll on the visitors even with the use of a full bench, and much to the credit of the Prestwich eleven they managed out the remaining minutes with relative ease.