We have dug out some illuminating facts from the club’s distinguished history.
The first instalment covers up to 1950 – with a second instalment from 1950 onwards to follow on Wednesday.
DID YOU KNOW?
The first coach employed by the club was in 1882 when Dan Rowland, from Bury, took up the post and came with the reputation of being a fearsome fast bowler – in the days when it was underarm!
When the club moved from Stack Meadow to its current Heys Road venue in 1904, the new pavilion cost £120.
World War One saw the tragic loss of numerous club members, and the 2nd XI was virtually wiped out. Mr Joseph Rostern created a fund in memory of his own son, Lieutenant Norman Rostern, who was killed on March 28th, 1918. The award is still proudly presented today.
The Walkden family were heavily involved in the club’s development, acknowledged by the unveiling of a memorial tablet in 1927. Mr James Walkden, then President of the Lancashire & Cheshire League, presented a cup for an annual tournament. Known as the Walkden Cup (pictured above), Prestwich went on to win the trophy in 1933, 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2015.
During World War Two, tennis members Mrs J.F. Wilson and Mrs M.E.T. Kershaw stepped in as secretaries to keep the club going as nearly all the male members joined up for service. Their voluntary work was recognised in 1947 when they were made the first lady life members of the club.